With today being the OFFICIAL first day of the Summer (aka the Summer Solstice)
that means it’s reading season for those who are not normally able to get reading unless on the beach tanning, on vacation away (heck depending how long I like to take an extra book or 2 especially if I am half way through what I am currently reading plus depends on how much there is to do, and if in the country how far from a store I am.
When it comes to choosing ANY book, I don’t go by the current best selling or what others are talking about. I will however sometimes cave to a book when it seems all my friends are reading the same one at around the same time. This happened with the Graveyard book. After a time I received a copy as a gift and when reading I found to be a children’s book, however it could be read by anyone and was interesting.
I do agree that those who do not read at all are the ones who ask how to find a book to read. Here’s my way to choose as well as some recommendations (for a few different types of genres.)
How I choose to read a book
In store print or kindle version
- the cover or title catches my eye.
- I read the plot (on back of physical book), if It sounds interesting and I have the money I’ll buy it then and there otherwise I add it to my list.
- I flip through the book maybe read a paragraph or page depending on time
- I keep hearing about it to the point I get curious. (This doesn’t usually happen with best sellers usually once they are not being talked about is when I get interested. Hype seems to be a turn-off for me be it book, or movie.
- When I got a kindle i signed up for Bookbub and I think one other site. One of them I get recommendations on books I may be interested in. These are usually at a great price. I don’t think I’ve gotten an offer over $2.99 which to me no digital book should be more than $5 (or at most, no more than a quarter to half the price of the physical book)
Already in my pile
- each year I do a reading challenge which I try to theme each year. This year is series (or can be all same author) either a couple of books from a series (if I don’t have the whole set) sometimes I just read one type of genre and so on.
- my Mood with the amount of books in my pile as is, I’m not exactly looking to buy any books aside from the few series I follow. If I can’t choose I sort of have a tie breaker
- I have a little trinket box filled with ‘reading challenge’ prompts Like: Read a book with a letter, or Read a book by an Author 30 or younger. I pick maybe 3-5 of these out and choose from there.
- sometimes If I can’t decide from there I go on Random.org and type in the prompts and have it randomize and order and choose that way (sometimes best out of 3)
You could use the way i do it or you can
try one or all of these ideas like Try a book Club, ask a friend or family member for a recommendation
You can find a list in my book nook of many of the books I’ve read since 2006! Anything in RED is recommended.
In the menu hoover on the Book nook and there are other pages with reviews and more Including the Book Archive which lists previous years’ reading challenges)